The tall (121') Ouistreham Lighthouse sits on the Quai Thierry near the mouth of the Orne River and adjacent to the set of locks of the Caen canal. It is easy to park in the town of Ouistreham and walk across the locks to the tower. The light was built in 1905. It's location was near the east end of the D-Day beaches and the area was liberated by British Troops on June 6, 1944 preventing the occupying German troops from destroying it. The light remains active and was believed to have been automated in 1993. Photos were taken in April 2013.