Thursday, May 30, 2013
Sunday, May 5, 2013
This lighthouse sits on a beautiful point of land approximately 2.5 km south of the town of Lagos, Portugal in the Barlavento region of the Algarve. Ponta da Piedade (Point of Piety) is a popular tourist stop with beautiful sandstone cliffs and sandstone towers being much photographed. The lighthouse itself is active dates to 1913. Prior to that time a chapel sat at the location. Photos were taken in April 2013.
This schoolhouse style light sits on a high bluff overlooking the east side of the entrance to the harbour of Portimao, Portugal. It is actually on the Ferragudo side of the harbour. The lighthouse dates to 1893 and is now dwarfed by a large communications tower built directly to the east of the lighthouse. These somewhat distant photos taken in April 2013.
The Lagos West Mole Light is located on a jetty at the west side entrance to the channel to the harbour at the town of Lagos, Portugal. It is a pyramidal shaped concrete structure and is striped red and white. The green and white east mole light can be seen as well in the bottom photo. Photos taken in April 2013.
These two lights sit on long jettys that mark the entrance to the harbour at Portimão, Portugal. The west mole light is red and white stripes while the east mole light is dark green and white. Photos taken in April 2013.
This light which is situated in the fortress Castillo de San Sebastián at the south end of the Bay of Cadiz is an impressive 121' skeletal tower. It dates to 1913 however it is believed that there was a station here as early as the late 1700's. The fortress is joined to the city by a long easily walkable jetty. Unfortunately when I visited in April 2013 and photographed the light, the fortress was closed to the public, "undergoing renovations". A previous light (circa 1855) on the site was a 128' stone tower that was demolished by the Spanish at the time of the Spanish American War.
This impressive light sits on a point of land on the west side of Casablanca approximately 1.5 km from the Hassan II Mosque and 4 km from the main port. It is also known as the Pointe d'el-Hank lighthouse. The light, that dates to 1919 (although there was a station at this point as early as 1905), stands 161' tall and remains active. Unfortunately due to time constraints I was only able to photograph the light from a distance and while on the bus. Photos were taken in April 2013.
This active light is located on Léon y Castillo wharf in the container ship terminal in the Port of Las Palmas on Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.It is also known as the Dique del Generalissimo Franco Light. It is situated at the far south end of the container ship wharf adjacent to the main harbour. Photos were taken in April 2013.
This light which dates to 1863 sits in the main harbour at Santa Cruz de Tenerife adjacent to the busy ferry terminals. The light has been inactive since 1954 and historic photos suggest it was moved from its original location on a jetty during reconstruction of the port. It is in very fine condition and is easily accessible by foot. Photos were taken in April 2013.
This minor light is located at the end of the main breakwater for the port at Santa Cruz de Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Photos taken in April 2013.
This minor light is located on the harbour side at the end of the main breakwater in the harbour at Funchal, the largest city on the Island of Madeira, and the island's capital. There is a second similarly painted tower on the sea side of the breakwater which appears to be for communication. Photos taken in April 2013.
Saturday, May 4, 2013
This lighthouse is located on a rocky outcropping adjacent to the main pier at the harbour at Câmara de Lobos, a small fishing village approximately 8 km west of the city of Funchal on the Portugese Island of Madeira. The light dates to 1937 and is active. Photos were taken in April 2013.
This faux lighthouse sits on the Rio Tejo (River Tagus) just east of the Belem Tower in Lisbon, Portugal. It is not an aid to navigation and does not have a lantern in the faux gallery. Photos were taken in April 2013.
The Torre de Belém is located on the waterfront on the Rio Tejo (River Tagus) in Lisbon, Portugal. This tower is a popular tourist attraction and landmark. While it no longer has a light, a light tower was erected in front of the tower portion of the building in approximately 1886 but was removed in 1945. The actual gothic tower itself dates back to 1520. The photos were taken in April 2013.
This light is situated in Forte de São Julião da Barra which sits at the north entrance to the Rio Tejo (Tagus River) west of the city of Lisbon, Portugal. The fort was constructed in the 16th century and it is believed the lighhouse dates to approximately 1775. The light remains active. The fort is now the offical residence for the Minister of State and Defence for Portugal. The distant photos were taken in April 2013.
This light sits on a penninsula of land adjacent to the Calandkanaal a dredged channel created for shipping to the Europoort at Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is a 141' concrete tower with a square gallery and modern 3x3 light display. Photos taken in April 2013.
This is a modern light that replaced the former Hoek Van Holland Low lighthouse that has since been relocated to the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. It is a 95' concrete tower with a square gallery and modern 3x3 light display. Photos taken in April 2013.
This modern light replaced the old Hoek Van Holland High light which remains nearby as a museum. It was constructed in approximately 1970 and is a 144' concrete tower with a modern 3x3 light display. Photo taken in April 2013.
This light, a 69' cast iron tower, was built in 1893 and served as the rear range light at Hoek Van Holland (Hook of Holland), Netherlands. It was deactivated in 1974 with the construction of the Maasvlakte. It now serves as a museum (Netherlands Coastal Lighthouse Museum). Photos taken in April 2013 from the M.S. Rotterdam.
This vessel, the former LV11 Trinity House Lightship, is moored near the Het Havenmuseum (Maritime Museum) in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The ship was originally commissioned in 1951 and served as a lightship in England and Wales until it was withdrawn from service in 1988. It served as Dudgeon station, Morecambe Bay station, St. Gowan station and for a short time was on loan to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board as Bar station. It was sold in 1991 and eventually rebuilt into a floating restaurant. It was the floating restaurant Breevertien from 2000 to 2002. It was again sold and in 2009 reopened as the Restaurant Tinto. At the time of taking these photos in April 2013 it remained open as Restaurant Tinto.