Although it is not a lighthouse, the Reed Point light was an aid to navigation for ships entering Saint John harbour. A plaque at the site gives the following information: "1842 - A navigational signal lamp was erected on this site; 1847 - A single gas lamp was erected by the Saint John Gas Co. and dedicated to the habour pilots of Saint John; 1848 -The Saint John Gas Co. commissioned Alexander Campbell to replace the single lamp with three lamps on a trident; 1967 - The restoration of the "Three Lamps" was undertaken by H.S. Gregory & Sons Ltd and the Saint John Iron Works Ltd; On October 3, 1967 the "Three Lamps" were rededicated to the Sint John Harbour Pilots and this plaque erected in memory of the men who lost their lives in the sinking of pilot boat #6 which was cut in two on January 14, 1957 by SS Fort Avalon while on station in thick vapor. Tempature 22 degrees below zero. All Hands Lost." The light is also known locally as the "Three Sisters" light and there is differing opinion on the origin of that name. Some say it is from faithful sisters who waited on that spot waiting for their men to return from the sea. Others say it is from three stars in the Northern Constellation "Perseus". Whatever the origin, the light is a local icon and worth a visit. Photos taken in March 2012.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
This light, formerly a gun battery from WWII is situated at the end of a long breakwater at the Southeast entrance to Saint John harbour, Saint John, New Brunswick. The start of the breakwater is on the property of the Irving Oil refinery and is not accessible to the public. The light was established at this point in 1927. Distant photos taken in March 2012.
Situated at the Southwest entrance to the Saint John Harbour, there has been a lighthouse on Partridge Island since 1791, the oldest light station in New Brunswick. The current light is from 1961. Although the island is connected to the mainland by a rock breakwater, the end of the breakwater is fenced and the island is not open to the public. This island is also the site of what was believed to be the first steam powered fog signal in the world (1859). These distant photos were taken in March 2012.
Located on the Southwest shore of the Saint John River near Oromocto Island, the Wilmot Bluff Lighthouse was first established in 1869 along with several of the other river lights. The current tower is from 1908 and was decomissioned in 1967. The light is on private property which is owned and maintained by the decendents of the last lightkeeper. The light sits on a high bluff which is some distance back from the river's edge. The light is not far from the Fredericton Airport. Photographs taken in March 2012.
This replica (faux) lighthouse sits outside the Saint John Trade and Convention Centre and the Hilton Hotel in downtown Saint John, New Brunswick. It is directly across from the Saint John Lighthouse and just down from the relocated Digby Wharf Lighthouse. Photo was taken in March 2012.
Gagetown Lighthouse is situated on the West shore of the Saint John River just south of the town of Gagetown, New Brunswick. It is adjacent to the Gagetown - Lower Jemsig Ferry dock. The site was established in 1895 and the current light was built in the 1930's. The area is subject to flooding and this light has been damaged on several occassions. Photos taken in March 2012.
Hampstead Wharf Lighthouse is located at the Hampstead Wharf on the West shore of the Saint John River at Hampstead, New Brunswick. The wharf was constructed as a stopping place for steamboats that sailed on the river. The light was established in 1900 and the current tower was built in 1913. The light has been inactive for some years. Since 2000 the St. John River Society has maintained the lighthouse and it was restored in 2010. I formerly sat closer to the water's edge, but was moved back to prevent damage from the spring flooding. Photos were taken in March 2012.
McColgan Point Lighthouse is located in the Summerville area of the Kingston Penninsula in New Brunswick. It was named after its first lightkeeper Samuel McColgan and sits on the North side of the Kennbecasis River on a rocky point between the Kennbecasis Island Ferry slip and the Saint John - Summerville Ferry slip. The light was established in 1913. The light is accessible but due to icy conditions, I could only obtain photos from the Kennbecasis Island Ferry slip. Photos taken in March 2012.
Elevated Sand Point Lighthouse, the tallest of the Saint John River lights, is located on the East side of the Saint John River on the Kingston Penninsula and just South of Harding Point where the ferry crosses the river from the community of Grand Bay/Westfield. The site was established in 1869 and the current light is from 1898 but has been refurbished several times. The tower is elevated to prevent damage from the spring flooding that affects many of the other Saint John River lights. Photos taken in March 2012.
Belyeas Point Lighthouse is located on the West side of the Saint John River just South of Morrisdale, New Brunswick. Named after its first lightkeeper, Spafford Barker Belyea, the site was established in 1882 and the current lighthouse dates back to the 1930's. The light is still active. The photos were taken in March 2012.