This lighthouse sits on a beautiful point of land approximately 2.5 km south of the town of Lagos, Portugal in the Barlavento region of the Algarve. Ponta da Piedade (Point of Piety) is a popular tourist stop with beautiful sandstone cliffs and sandstone towers being much photographed. The lighthouse itself is active dates to 1913. Prior to that time a chapel sat at the location. Photos were taken in April 2013.