Fort Amherst was a fort established by the British in 1777. It is located on the South Head at the entrance to the narrows into St. John's Harbour. The first lighthouse, a stone tower, was established in the fort in 1813. There has been a lighthouse at the site since that date. The current wooden structure and keeper's houses were built in 1951. The site is directly across the water from Signal Hill and the lights at Cape Spear can be seen in the distance to the South East.