The current Covehead Harbour Lighthouse was built in 1975 replacing the previous light that dated to 1967. There however was a previous light station in the area dating to 1879. The current lighthouse is just East of the entrance to Covehead Harbour on the North Shore of Prince Edward Island and is located inside the Prince Edward Island National Park. The lens in the lighthouse is over 100 years old and was relocated to this lighthouse from Dalhousie, New Brunswick. On the side of the lighthouse is a plaque giving information about the severe storm known as the Yankee Gale of 1851 that killed almost 200 souls. Photos were taken in July 2014.