The Gamboa Northbound Front Lighthouse is located on the Chagres River approximately 6 km (4 miles) west of the town of Gamboa marking the northbound approach into Gatun lake on the Panama Canal transit. The light was constructed during the original construction of the Panama Canal (between 1904 and 1914) and activated in 1914. It remains an active light. The lighthouse is a 14 metre (45 foot) tall concrete tower painted white on the front and black on the back. The bottom photo shows its proximity to the Gamboa Northbound Rear Lighthouse. Photos taken in March 2016.