The Balboa Southbound Rear Lighthouse is located on the bank of the west shore of the channel under the Bridge of the Americas at Balboa, Panama. It is just to the south of the bridge footings. The light is a 13 metre (43 foot) tall faded black concrete tower. It was built during the construction of the Panama Canal (1904-1914) and activated at the opening of the canal in 1914. It was deactivated at the time the Bridge of the Americas was constructed in the 1960's. It is approximately 100 metres to the south of the old Southbound Front Light that sits in the channel north of the bridge. It would have been the last light for southbound traffic to the Pacific Ocean for the canal. Photos taken in March 2016.