Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Coquille River Lighthouse, Bandon, Oregon



The Coquille River Lighthouse is located on the North side of the Coquille River, across from the town of Bandon, Oregon. It currently sits in Bullard's Beach State Park. Construction of the lighthouse commenced in 1895 and the lamp was first lit in 1896. The light was decomissioned in 1939 and replaced by a fog signal and beacon on the South Jetty in Bandon, across the river. The lighthouse sat abandoned for many years. When the state park was created, it took responsibility for the lighthouse and the building was restored in 1976 and a solar powered light was eventually placed in the tower in 1991.  The building is illuminated with Christmas lights each December. Photos taken in June 2012.

1 comment: