The Buck Island Lighthouse is found on Buck Island which is situated approximately two miles South of the island of St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The island is now the Buck Island National Wildlife Refuge. The original lighthouse is a colonial style square steel tower that was built by the Danish Government in 1913 when the island was part of the Danish West Indies. The island became part of the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1919. The original lighthouse was active until the 1990's when a new taller steel tower was build a short distance away (as seen in the photos). At the time of taking these photos in March 2014, the original lighthouse appears in poor condition. It is on the endangered list of lights.