This beautiful red brick lighthouse in Jupiter, Florida was activated in 1860 and has an active First Order Fresnel Lens. Construction was started on the light in 1853 but was delayed by the Third Seminole War. It sits atop a hill that has been found to be an Indian mound. The lighthouse is situated on Coast Guard Property but is maintained privately and there is a museum on site. The light was inactive during the Civil War when it was turned off by Confederate sympathizers. There are tours of the ligthouse daily. The Loxahatchee River Historical Society maintains the lighthouse. Photos were taken in March 2011.