Built on a rock in False Bay near Simon's Town and Boulders Beach, South Africa (Cape Town area), this light was established in 1861. It took four years to construct. It sits in front of the South African Naval Base. These somewhat distant photos were taken in August 2010 frin Boulders Beach, where there is an established colony of African Penguins. According to a local guide, it is the only staffed lighthouse in operation in South Africa.