The original Cape Point Lighthouse was built on Cape Maclean on the Cape of Good Hope Penninsula in 1860. It was built on the highest point in the area and unfortunately it was built too high as it was often shrouded by low clouds and therefore not useful as an aid to navigation. It was replaced in 1919 by a new light built a short distance away but lower to the water. The ols light is now a popular tourist stop for those visiting the Cape. (Watch out for Baboons when visiting.) The metal plate on the old light (see photo) indicates it was designed in 1857. Photos taken in August 2010.