The Whiffin Spit Lighthouse sits at the end of a 1.5 km spit of land that protects the entrance to Sooke Harbour Inlet. There has been a light at this location since @ 1906, but the date of the current structure is not known. The spit is named after a crew member on the Royal Navy vessel 'Herald' that surveyed Sooke Harbour in 1846. The spit, which is a popular place for walks, protects the harbour from breakers coming in from the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This light is an active beacon atop a 21 foot tall cylindrical tower. The site also has a fog signal and a weather station. Photos were taken in May 2014.